Sunday, October 19, 2014

With Strength

This is my friend Olivia.


 We first met at a hair salon in Virginia Beach. She was my stylist, and we became friends over haircuts and color. When she was pregnant with her first child, she asked if I would be interested in watching her sweet baby after she had to return to work. For the next 2 and a half years I would babysit her one, and then two children.



My daughter-in-law Kaye with Hudson and Nora

Michelle and Nora

On Mamy's trampoline

Just holding some chickens

Blue eyes

Just like Mom (although I think Brandon started all this fish stuff.)
 It was during this time that I was introduced to a deep strength that was my friend Olivia. The dictionary defines strength as the quality or state of being strong. Olivia was strong when things in her life didn't turn out as she expected. Through a series of unfortunate events, in which God did have her good in mind, she was forced to work hard to support her kids. This meant long hours and total reliance on Him for every day survival. When the pressure of opening her own salon was also added to her plate, she had to dig even deeper. Time and time again, I watched as the Lord sustained her. She wasn't a baby about her life. She did what needed to be done and tried her best to be brave. My mom has a saying that she repeats often to me and other young people who feel overwhelmed at times. "Hard is hard, but hard is not bad." Our world has spoiled us sometimes in to thinking that everything should be given to us on a silver platter, and that our happiness and joy can only be found in a life free of problems and full of leisure. It wasn't that way for Olivia; she couldn't just rest and have fun all the time. It was here, in the hard, that Olivia modeled strength to me.



 In our friendship she is an endless testimony to God's grace in action. Without her struggles and victories, I wouldn't have Hudson and Nora as part of my life. I love them so much and feel like a Grandma to them in my heart. They call me Mamy, pronounced May-mee, and I cry when I haven't seen them in a while. (They are big now and go to school) My daughter Anna works at Olivia's salon, which is pretty awesome!
Olivia and my daughter

Gorgeous hair for Kaye Kaye's wedding
 I love to go in and get my hair done, only this time I sit in a different chair. As Anna works her magic, I watch Olivia from across the room continuing to do her thing. In Proverbs 31:25 it says, " Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come."

Brandon and Olivia married a year ago.

Their sweet family
She is happy now with an adoring husband and two growing kids. She shares her talents with others and helps as many people as she can. Ours is a symbiotic friendship rooted in and around a heavenly Father who gives strength for each day. Do you have a friend who is strong? hang on to him or her and Flood your life.
Getting strong for real!
ps. Olivia's salon is called Salon Oh. If you live in or near Virginia Beach it is well worth visiting. I am particularly partial to the person who styles in the chair closest to the door, but all her stylists are wonderful. They also have massage and nails. It is a bright spot in busy city and many "strong" girls work there. xoxo
Haha 



No comments:

Post a Comment