Friday, October 24, 2014

With Indians

This is my friend Kathy.
Mom and all her girls.
Me, Jo Lynn, Paige, Anna, and Kaye.
She also happens to be my fabulous mother-in-law. That's right, we get along. She adopted me in to her family 24 years ago, and I have felt welcome ever since.

John and Kathy (then)

Mom and Dad (now)

 I have learned from her how to make my husband's favorite potato salad, how to make the perfect zucchini bread, and where to get the best frappuccino in town. Notice all the cooking references. I wasn't so good when we first got married, and Mom was very patient with me. God knew exactly what I needed. When we go to visit she works like crazy to make everything very special for us. The hardest part about our friendship is that she lives in Michigan, and I live in Virginia. Grandchildren make it even harder to be separated. We have managed over the years to be close, and always hate goodbyes. It isn't ideal, but the fact that she is an Indian really helps. Potawatomi to be exact.

Her school picture. So so cute.

Her mom Minnie and her dad Claude.
 Who wouldn't want to be friends with a real live Indian? They have knife collections, moccasins, buffalo, and cool words for salt and pepper. (she actually does have all of these) They have amazing black hair and tend to be athletic and strong. Their babies are adorable, and I personally love one that is all grown up and super handsome.

Scott, Jo Lynn, Mom and Dad.
The joy of my life. 
 Recently we visited the town where she was born, and I really enjoyed seeing her heritage come to life. I don't just love her because she is an Indian, obviously, but I am proud of her ancestry and thankful that my children have part of the Potawatomi nation coursing through their veins. (Here is a link to the official Potawatomi website if you would like to know more about them.)

Mom and daughter
She has also left them something else. A legacy of thoughtfulness. It can be seen in every birthday card and in every Christmas present. If you visit her home, it is all around you. Kleenex placed just where you will need it, pen and paper in the perfect spot to write a message, nail clippers where you can actually find them, and deodorizing spray in the bathroom. (I can never seem to remember to buy that.) Extra towels for all our bodies and Pop tarts, Oreos, KitKats, and chips for all our cravings. Years spent thinking of others before herself has left its mark on all our hearts.

All her Indians and a few white men scattered in. 
 Every person in her family knows they are special to her, and God in all his wisdom chose her to be mine. It is simply the best! So, if you want to be a good mother-in-law and a good friend, you might need to take some lessons from a wise Indian, with thoughtfulness flowing from her soul, and Flood your life.

ps. Couldn't leave this post without giving a shout out to my awesome Father-in-law. None of our camping memories would be possible without his hard work and generosity. He is the glue that keeps us all together, and I thank the Lord for putting him in my life too. Love you dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment