Thursday, October 2, 2014

With Perseverance

This is my friend Dessi. Her full name is Dessislava Marinova Bradecich. (hence the use of Dessi) She is from Bulgaria and came to the United States on a basketball scholarship for West Virginia. She is very tall, well as least to very short me, and has a story you won't believe.



 As I share some of the details with you, be thinking of the word perseverance. The definition of perseverance, which I am pretty sure I misspelled on my intro post, is steadfast in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success. Friendships can be hard sometimes and don't succeed without some indefatigability. (coolest word I just found today) Dessi has overcome a lot of obstacles and as of last night, has joy. She is open with me in her struggles and I am learning from her.

Always working hard 

 Perhaps the biggest shock of her life and mine was when her husband of just a few years committed suicide. It was on Easter Sunday and without being too insensitive, it was just awful! No one can prepare for something like this. Her husband was an amazing chiropractor and a very good people person. Long story short, Dessi works in our local hospital, and at the fire station sometimes 70 hours a week helping others get and feel better. Working as a paramedic helps her pay the bills and working lots of hours helps her not go crazy.

Jason and Dessi

 She has persevered through a deep deep valley and adds depth to our friendship that is precious to me. Just this week she took me to lunch, and as we ate our delicious gyros from Papa Greeks she shared how God is caring for her, and she is learning to surrender everything to Him. (It is scary when He has allowed your husband to die) 

Muddy with a smile

  She doesn't succeed every day, but neither do I. I am inspired by her victories and sad for her loss. She feels better when she serves others, and I have been a beneficiary to many of her gifts. Money, free chiropractic care, movies, vitamins, rides to the store, prayers, painting help, books, tea, meals, cars for teenagers, furniture, lots of laughter, medical advice whether you want it or not, and time, just to name a few. We don't always agree and sometimes pain is messy, but I admire her perseverance and challenge each of you to Flood your life.    

Sunni is a faithful companion. Jason bought her as a gift for his wife. She means more than captions. A glimpse into the heart of a healing God.
  
At my Son's wedding. 

ps. Dessi doesn't mind sharing her story and is always willing to help others who have suffered the same loss. Feel free to email me if you would like to contact her for any help in this area.

4 comments:

  1. I love you Amy! ... what was that about the medical advise? :-) even when you don't want it?! :-) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, well you know. I always love hearing it anyway. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I soooo love both of you women!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 this and you topics for 31 days! God bless!

    ReplyDelete