Saturday, October 11, 2014

With Sacrifice

This is my friend Melody.

She, her husband Josh, and their three girls are missionaries in Papua, New Guinea. They work hard each day to be the support other Missionaries need, and to share the good news of Jesus Christ to those who don't know. They have truly surrendered all their possessions as and offering to God, a living sacrifice.
Josh, Mel, Hannah, Sarah and Morgan

 I have known them for a long time through our church family. I have also known Mel's hair for a long time. Before she left for the mission field, I used to highlight it for her. My daughter is really the hair stylist, but I used to dabble in it some and Mel was always a willing volunteer. We would talk for hours, because that is how slow I foil. She was always patient and we became fast friends. It was during these special times that I learned Mel was not ordinary. She was the girl next door with an awesome sense of humor and an uncommon call on her life. She "seemed" just like you and just like me, only God was going to ask her to do something extraordinary. To sacrifice everything she had ever known for Him. Safety, comfort, family, church, all would be left behind in order to obey and serve. (Even beautifully colored hair.) I watched as Mel gracefully began her journey of surrender. Traveling hundreds of miles for support, selling their home, and packing supplies months in advance were just some of her "before" adventures. I was so proud of her. I was challenged by her gracious spirit and cheerful demeanor. She believed in her heavenly Father. He, who had sacrificed so much for her, wouldn't leave or forsake her. Nothing she would do for Him would be a waste.

Serving right where God wanted

Graduation ceremony in the Bena tribe

Happiness

Her hair however, might be a different story. Her last cut and color were done by my daughter Anna, and her suitcase packed with a few "do it yourself " bottles of product. Because we became close over hair and because my daughter is a stylist, I care what happens to Mels. (Ladies you know that bad hair days can be a trial) From some pictures via Facebook it seems God cares too.

Haircuts
Friends
Pedicures
I just want you to know that God knows your sacrifices and the things you need to feel deeply loved by Him. Mel had to give up all her friends to go and find new ones. She bravely went, and her example calls each of us to Flood our lives.

Melody has a blog at www.ntm.org/wp/josh_simmons 

No comments:

Post a Comment