Sunday, October 5, 2014

With Determination

This is my friend Linda. We used to live near each other almost 21 years ago. Our children were just toddlers when we first met and we bonded over military life and babies. We were in the same phase of crazy and we needed each other. Our men were also friends, which doesn't always happen in "girl land."


 Linda was determined that we were going to be close but at first I wasn't sure. She was different than me in a few ways that seemed almost too much. She let her children watch Rugrats! A show that every "good" mother knew was not for "nice" children. She even liked dancing and some music I had never heard of! (Bahaha) I would visit for a few hours and come home thinking, "phew that girl is messed up." She didn't give up on me though. She kept inviting, I kept going. I learned that God had a deep treasure waiting for me in my determined friend. She was kind, loving to my children, and wanted to hug me every time we said goodbye. She wasn't trying to make me just like her, she was trying to know me for real and like me anyway.
Various shots of the good ole' days. My favorite is our Mormon picture.(the one where it looks like Dale has two wives and a ton of kids) My husband Scott was out to sea with the U.S Navy and Dale was brave enough to go to Busch Gardens with us all. 
 Many years have passed and guess what? We are still friends! Linda loves the Lord and has found deep peace in trusting Him to guide her adult children and face the challenges of raising high school kids. Whenever we talk on the phone we pick right back up where we left off. I never feel awkward or unloved, just accepted. Her intense determination helped make a deep friendship because she wouldn't give up until she had worked her way into my heart.
Always right next to me even far away. 
Time has also changed us. We both enjoy running, it helps with the hormones and extra weight gain. We both have one married child, and are almost empty nesters. We love dancing (even though our kids laugh at us) and really enjoy the grace that comes from walking with the Lord and letting Him guide us in the "gray areas" of the Christian life. I have accepted our differences and realized that all my friends don't have to walk, talk, and look like me. I have to listen to the Holy Spirit guiding me each day and so does she.  She grew in to an excellent mother, despite the Rugrats, and has inspired me to grab hold of those I love and determine to know them for real. "Linda I see you, and I am so thankful that you see me."
Taking a moment 

Her beautiful family
Her Dale Dale
Her married daughter and handsome husband.
As you read this, know that Linda and I don't get to see each other very often, but when we do, we have the best of times. Her determination has changed me. If you think you are always right, and that your way is the only way, find a dear soul like my Linda and Flood your life.




If you would like to read other stories of people writing for 31 days in October, click the link below.
31 days.



1 comment:

  1. What a sweet friendship! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete