Wednesday, October 22, 2014

With Discipline

This is my friend Martha.

 She is currently serving as a missionary in Chogoria, Kenya with her husband and three of their six children.
You can see the word disciple in the word discipline. 
The Ritchie Family
 We have known each other for a long time through church, home school, and various other adventures. My youngest boy and her oldest boy were close growing up, and are still good friends today. I have spent time with Martha eating and laughing with our mutual friends, and then I have spent "time" with Martha talking deeply about raising children, teaching children, and not killing your children. Her home is one of the happiest homes I ever visited. They have an equal balance of fun and discipline. I really admired that and wanted to have that in my home as well.

Helen and Perry
I love this!
our boys when they were young
 During the years that I home schooled my biggest trouble was discipline with the kids. I wasn't stupid, and knew I could teach them just about anything if only they would sit still and listen. When I shared some of my troubles with Martha, she would ask me, "Why are you allowing that in your home?", and "What are you doing to make sure that it doesn't happen again?" Practical questions that had real answers. The more time I spent with their family, the more I began to see how to guide and train mine. I like to paint, and in exchange for painting hallways, bathrooms and a kitchen, Martha would work along side me talking, and teaching me how to be a Godly mother. It was so worth the effort, and I would return home with the tools I needed to keep doing what God had asked me to do.

Jim and Martha
If Martha could keep on keeping on, then so could I. Somewhere in my musings, discipline turned in to self-discipline, and in order to train your family well, you have to be well trained yourself. Martha taught me that little people watch you, and will become like what you are. I had to be disciplined in my walk with the Lord and my completion of daily tasks in order for my kids to learn. It is this principle that has enabled Martha and her children to do what they are doing for the Lord today. Willing your body to perform tasks that it doesn't want to do, standing firm on the promises of God's word, and taking the gospel to others, would be impossible without discipline.

In Kenya with Meredith and James
Shopping with Meredith
Ninja picking papaya
Soldiers can't perform well in battle if they are not disciplined. Martha is a good soldier of Jesus Christ. She has trained her troops well and with the help of her doctor husband is ready and able to fight in the war God has called them to.

some of her hard work
Helping with VBS
I am very thankful for the part Martha has played in my life. I am still not as disciplined as I should be, but with prayer and true friends, God is helping me. Martha also left me a little piece of herself back in the States. Her three adult children live close by, and I get to interact with them often. Her deepest sacrifice is one of my greatest blessings.

Perry and Sarah
Sarah, Rachel and Josh
Sarah and her Mom
We won't know until we get to heaven how a disciplined Mother changed the world for eternity, but until then Flood your life with friends who try.

ps. Helen has a great blog that talks all about their fun in Kenya. You can link to it here if you would like to read more. If you would like to help support their efforts to reach the lost in Chogoria, you can link to Jim's blog here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment