Monday, October 27, 2014

With Thanksgiving

This is my friend Sharla.

Dressing up to go see Hunger Games.

 I have known her for about 26 years. She is also family to me because she is the mother of Lori, my sister-in-law. I have written about all of her daughters in this series on friends. If she is the one who taught them all how to be Creative, Ambitious, and Dramatic, then you know why her post is titled, with Thanksgiving. I think someone from Sharla's circle influences my circle every day of the week. I can say with surety that I have lifelong friends because God brought her into my life. I also get to see her 4 to 5 times a week at various activities that we work in and around. It is truly fascinating to watch her interact with people. God has called she and her husband Tom to an evangelistic ministry.


 Their purpose in life is to reach the lost with the gospel of Jesus Christ. Her week might look something like this: Sunday, go to church and then cook a huge meal for lunch afterwards. This will feed any and everyone who might need encouragement and love. Sunday night, go to church and take extras out to IHOP  for more connecting and fun. Tuesday, host a quilting class at the church for  ladies who might want to learn about fabric, but more about living for the Lord. Wednesday, attend church in the evening, and actually cook a Wednesday evening meal once a month for all who want to come. Thursday, host an exercise class at church for ladies who need to concentrate on better eating habits and need motivation. Friday, attend Bible Study and teach regularly when needed. Saturday, recover, plan, or shop so she can do it all over again. Do you see her heart? In between all this, she finds time to be a Grandmother to 14 grandchildren, a writer for our church Christmas play, and a postpartum doula at night.


Grandchildren

Trouble of the best kind.
Newest 
Thanksgiving is right around the corner. For years she cooked for hundreds of Military men and women who couldn't go home for the holidays. This year and every year I am thankful for her. Her soul is knit together with her husbands in a effort to bring as many people as they can to heaven, and to disciple the ones He has given to them here. I could probably go on for pages because I am so moved by her sacrificial life. I am thankful God brought her into mine, thankful she said "yes" to a man who is "soul" focused, thankful that I get to see her almost every day, thankful for her children, thankful for her grandchildren, thankful for her knowledge and Godly example, thankful for her advice, which I need often, and thankful for her obedience to the Lord after he took her first husband to heaven. Friends come to us in many ways. some are born into your family, and some are placed in your life by a loving heavenly Father. Sharla was and is a gift to me. If God has given you someone like her, be Thankful and Flood your life.

Their true identity.
This song reminds me of her. My heart is filled with Thankfulness.

Family
ps. Sharla has inspired many people besides me. Here is a link to another person whose life she has touched. Hint; she may or may not have built her very own TINY house.

No comments:

Post a Comment