Wednesday, October 15, 2014

With Wisdom

This is my friend Eunice.


I wanted to write about her because we are, perhaps to outsiders, unlikely friends. She is old enough to be my mother, but I often find that I want to spend time with her. I am drawn to her wisdom and helpful spirit. Did you know that she has a crazy work ethic, and can clean up a dilapidated yard faster than you can go to the grocery store. She works miracles with mulch and bushes, and has helped many people in our church get their yards in order.

Orchid Iris
Back yard in Spring
Making our church beautiful.
 Flowers seem to arrange themselves under her careful tutelage, and many a wedding or church has been graced with her creations. She saved my son's rehearsal dinner from floral demise, and I will always be grateful.
Rehearsal dinner flowers
 I think plants, like me, just know that it would be wise to do as she says. Since she has been a faithful mother to 5 children, and countless others whom God has placed in her path, I like to go to her when I need advice to raise my own kids. She listens patiently and then begins, like her garden, to first help me weed out the bad thinking, and replace it with truth from God's word. I feel safe in sharing my struggles and confident that she will give me sound advice. Do you have any friends like this? The definition of wisdom is the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement; the quality of being wise. In the Bible there is a verse in Proverbs chapter 8 verse 21 that says, "That I may cause those that love me (referring to wisdom) to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasure."
 If you typically pick friends your own age and have relationships that don't have much substance, try finding someone older than you to attach too. When people have walked with the Lord Jesus a long time, they have lives filled with treasure. They will help you plant diamonds of truth in place of clever lies, and your garden of life will grow strong and fruitful. Eunice is my wisdom friend. Please look around you for one of your own, and Flood your life.

1 comment:

  1. Love Mama Owens! She saved my yard too! She's such a treasure. We have such love for her!

    ReplyDelete