Friday, October 3, 2014

With Laughter

This is my friend Laurie Toth. We call her LT because my sister-in-law is named Lori and it was getting confusing. I love to laugh with all of my friends, but there is something about Laurie that takes laughter to a whole new level. It's the eye watering, pig snorting, belly laughing can't breathe type of laughter that makes you exhausted, but happy.


 She is married and her husband is very important in the United States Navy. Although most of the "stories" in their lives start with him, I will refrain from mentioning him too often as this post is about her. They have one son and a lovely daughter-in-law, as well as a spunky little dog named Lucy and a grandchild/dog named Benny.

Lucy in her Christmas costume.

Benny in his snow boots.
Chad and Kristin
Rob and Laurie
 The six of them have more adventures or rather misadventures than anyone I know. One time she and Rob were traveling and stayed in a hotel with their dog Zoe. (She has since passed) They went to dinner, and when they came back to their room the key didn't work. Zoe was a very special dog and if Rob talked to her she would "sing". So, while they were trying to get the door unlocked Rob was calling for Zoe. They couldn't hear anything and Laurie starts to panic. "I hope noone took our dog! I can't believe this!" She then takes off for the stairs to give the front desk a piece of her mind. As she stomps down the different floors she realizes that they were on the wrong floor trying to get in to the wrong room. She runs back up the stairs to tell Rob and this is what she finds. "Zoe, sing for daddy. Come on Zoe, sing for daddy." At that moment she busts up laughing so hard she can't breathe. The picture of Rob standing at a strange hotel room door saying, "Sing for daddy" was just too much! It is a miracle he didn't get arrested. Thank goodness no one was in the room. They headed back up to the correct floor and there was Zoe right where they left her.

Zoe girl

 Her kids and husband are the absolute loves of her life which makes her son Chad's illness very hard for them. He has Ulcerated Colitis or UC for short. He suffers daily with this disease, so laughter plays a huge part in how they all survive. Because they love the Lord, they know God's plan is perfect, but sometimes it isn't fun.



 This precious gift of finding humor in the hard things is invaluable when making and keeping your friends. Laughter forms a bond that is not easily broken. Laurie and I joke about the fact that if people find her funny they are friends for life, and if they find her hysterical well she might just leave them something in her will. She makes people feel at ease because she can first, laugh at herself and second, find the endearing humor even in the crankiest person. Once my husband was acting a little upset over something and she could tell things were not going to end well. She leaned over close to him and said, "Settle down Frances." He stopped, looked at her and busted up laughing. I know not everyone could get away with this, but because she had already shown in their relationship that she could laugh at herself, she was able to help him laugh at himself.


Seriously the crazier people are, the more she likes them. I always feel loved when I am with her because she finds humor in the personality God has given me and is happy with it. The more humiliating my flaws seem to me, the more she loves. She of course once ate a dead petunia petal off her shirt because she thought it was a chocolate chip, so you can only go up from there. Haha.

Pretty much says it all


Laurie loves to go sea glassing in Rhode Island. She is truly gifted at finding treasure among the warn and weather beaten rocks. 

Never happier than time spent with her boy. 
Laurie's approach to life has been invaluable in my relationships with my family and my friends. It has also made our friendship very real and open. God is delighted with how He made you, laugh in thanksgiving, laugh in relief, and laugh out of pure joy. Lastly, if you are struggling with illness or hard things in life that aren't really all that fun, remember you are not alone. Lots of people are praying for you and finding hope in lives filled with laughter. Flood yours every day.



If you would like to see what some of the other 31 day bloggers are writing about click the link below.
31days

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure it was difficult choosing which word for me since I really do embody them all. ;) I guess I shouldn't joke about such things when so many people don't know me very well anymore. Thanks gf, love ya! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You surely embody them all. Except maybe Indian, but I don't know you could have that in ya somewhere. Glad you liked it. I wanted to share the post office lipstick story, but that one really needed a picture. Next time you do that could you snap a quick selfie? :)

      Delete
  2. Such a perfect tribute to our girl. She is so real. The two of them together show God's love wherever He takes them.

    ReplyDelete